Sacred Heart Malankara Catholic Church, Mylapra is known as the eldest daughter of Malankara Catholic Church. It is one of the largest Parishes in the whole Malankara Catholic Church, with 280 families as its members. It became a venue for many historical events.
Beginning of Sacred Heart Church, Mylapra.
With the financial support of His Grace Mar Ivanios, a chapel was built on the eastern side of the Punalur – Muvattupuzha Road and was blessed on June 9, 1932 and Rev. Fr. Medayil was appointed as the vicar of the parish by His Grace Mar Ivanios. By the time Rev. Fr. Thengumtharamedayil reunited with the church there were about 29 families and 106 members in the parish.
One of the most important events in the history of Mylapra was the reunion of Rev. Fr. Abraham Thengumtharamedayil also known as Mylapra Achen with His Grace Mar Ivanios. He enjoyed a good rapport with the five families who had originally joined the Catholic Church, though he was the assistant vicar of the Mylapra Orthodox Church. He was a resourceful individual who had the opportunity to read up on the catholic faith and understand it. His studies to fight Catholicism actually helped to form a deep conviction within him. On Jan 19, 1936 the general assembly of the Mylapra Jacobite Church was held in Mylapra School and those who were against him abstained from the meeting. Rev. Fr. Abraham Thengumtharayil and the faithful came to the chapel in a procession and embraced the catholic faith before His Grace Mar Ivanios. The ceremony was held the next day in Mylapra school and more than 100 families joined the catholic fold before Mar Ivanios.
The steady inflow of followers continued and the chapel could no longer hold all the members. Land for the new Church had already been bought, and the site had been finalised by His Grace Mar Ivanios himself. With the financial help of a German family, a beautiful church was constructed and the name “The Sacred Heart” was given to the church. On March 13, 1941 the foundation stone was laid by His Grace Mar Ivanios and the Church was consecrated on September 14 and 15, 1944. The construction was supervised by Fr. A.G Abraham and N.I Thomas Naickamparambil.After 58 yrs, in 2002, the parish vicar and the committee members decided to reconstruct the church due to the lack of space. On January 12, 2003 His Grace Cyril Mar Baselios laid the foundation stone and the Church was consecrated by Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis along with Joshua Mar Ignatios and Youhanon Mar Chrysostam on December 28 and 29, 2007. The Construction was supervised by Rev. Fr. John G. Vadakkepuram and a committee was constituted with M.T Thomas Mannil as its General Convenor.